Wednesday, December 31, 2014

A Year in Review... and details about Phase Two

Greetings, readers!

It has been almost 4 months since my last post. If you missed it, you can read it here. It was probably the deepest post I made all year. I have also updated the layout of the blog. The springtime look was getting a bit old.  Moving on...

Wow, I have come a very long way since last year. As stated previously in my post from September 6th (linked in last paragraph), I never imagined myself getting better. I could not see the light at the end of the tunnel. After 6 months of counseling and being on medication for close to a year, I'm feeling better overall. This is something I have wanted for so long, and it has finally become a reality. 

This is not to say that I'm "cured." Depression isn't something that just goes away. It will always be a battle I'm fighting. But it's a battle worth fighting. Because I have goals. Because I am meant for something big. Because I am stronger than depression is. 

Earlier this year, beloved comedian Robin Williams committed suicide after a long battle with depression. Since his death, people are more informed on mental illness and its seriousness. I hope others continue to try to understand that it isn't a phase and it is something that needs to be acknowledged. 



I am on my 7th month taking an antidepressant and for the most part it has helped me. It keeps my mind from racing with thoughts of uncertainty and panic, which used to distract me from everything I was supposed to be focusing on. I managed to pass all 5 classes this Fall semester and couldn't be prouder of myself. I did, however, acquire the sophomore 15. Oh joy. Which leads me into Phase 2 of "Getting Back to Me!"

Augustus Waters - The Fault in Our Stars


What is this Phase 2 of which I speak? 
Good thing you asked! Now that I have gained some control in my life in terms of my mental health, I have decided to shift my focus on my physical health. Part of what held me back from working toward a healthier lifestyle was my depression. I have binge eating disorder and struggle often in maintaining control when it comes to eating. I struggle with this the most when I am at home; I eat reasonably well when on my college campus. 

In Phase 2, I will start seeing my counselor again, keep a regular schedule with the nutritionist as I did last spring, and pay for a personal trainer starting in February. I want to spend my Sundays after work skating with the ARG Rec League. I did some rec league this summer, but did not follow through with it. Phase 2 is a phase in which I fully commit to healthy eating and exercise, and allow it to become a lifelong habit. I will also get more involved in meditation and other stress-relieving activities. I discovered that my school offers a relaxation room with massage chairs, so I will definitely be making reservations a couple times a month for that!

We must remember, that no matter how crazy our lives get, we must take care of ourselves. It is very difficult at times, because we all have different stressors. We have to find the willpower within us and keep it in the forefront of our minds as we live our lives day to day. 

I hope you all wish me luck in this new year. Your support means so much to me. Thank you to all who have been so supportive in the last year. I couldn't have done it without your loving support. 

My friends at my Christmas Party.


Hope everyone had a great Christmas. Happy New Year to each and every one of you! Set goals, stay committed to them, and accomplish them this new year! 


Until next time,

Kelsey

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Kelsey! Keep on embracing life and keep on embracing you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelsey, how are you? I hope you doing well due to the Coronavirus going around atm. It's been a really long time but I plan on blogging again. I have just recently released a new post today :) https://bgollow.com.au

    ReplyDelete