Saturday, January 11, 2014

All Moved In

I know it is a little early for a second blog post, but I just couldn't resist. This one is very important, because I am all moved into my dorm.

I'm at the beginning of a new start. I'll be living in a whole new environment, with new people who aren't my family, and I will only have to be responsible for myself.

It's different.

Some people are really misunderstanding what I've committed myself to this year, and I just wanted to clear things up. This isn't a blog where I'm going to post my sorrows and downfalls. This blog is just something I can use to share my experiences and how I change as a person in this new life I'm living. Now that I am on my own and beginning my second semester of college, I can start finding out more about myself. 

Yesterday was the big day. I got up early that morning, after a nearly sleepless night, seeing as I was anxious about moving out and into my dorm. The night before I had recruited a couple of friends to help me with the move. Charlie, Natalie, and I negotiated a time we would gather the next morning. None of us were thrilled about getting up early that morning after a late night of playing cards and eating fast food, but the two managed to arrive at my house around 9:00 a.m. 

After about half an hour we arrived at my new living space, where I checked in and we began unloading the car. When we got to my floor, we were confused by the arrangement of room locations. I was located in the 10th suite on my floor, and so we followed the sign which supposedly directed us to my room. We were greeted by three doors, none of which were the 10th suite. After pacing the halls, arms loaded with my belongings, we found it. I set all the stuff I was carrying down on the floor and began to look for my key. I had an envelope in my hand which was supposed to hold my entrance card and room key. I couldn't find it! I thought, "Oh, not today. No way. Nope. Not happening." I had just had my key on the other end of the hall, and by the time I reached my room it had vanished! I backtracked down the hall, unable to find the gold key, and right as my friends were about to go on a hunt for it, we found it laying on the floor beneath the bags I had just dropped. Phew!

The set-up I have is a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom dorm with dining, kitchen, and living areas. It was more spacious than I had recalled when I last set foot in my friend's dorm, who has the same layout as me. At that moment I knew I was getting my money's worth. We brought the bags into the living area and sorted out which items belonged in the kitchen, bathroom, and my bedroom. Charlie and Natalie went back to the car to bring up the remaining items. I just want to say I am so grateful for them and their willingness to help, even at the "early" hour of 9 a.m. They are really awesome

Together we got the bed made and items sorted out, but by then Natalie had to go to work. I said farewell to her and Charlie left, too, so it was just me and my mother unloading bags. We finished by 2 p.m., and realized we had to make a shopping trip to Target to get a few storage boxes and other little things to store some of my belongings. 

Below are some photos of my bedroom. Unfortunately I do not have photos of the other parts of the suite, but this is what my room looks like: 


Closet door and desk

Closet door and bedroom door

Bed

Desk and dresser
(and clothes for which I need hangers!)

Also, a few images of the view from my room:

I am way too excited about how close I am
to the DragonCon hotels...

View of other dorms and interstate

Well, that's a long way down.

Oh, before I go, I have added a "Song of the Week" to the Navigation bar on the right. The song is called "Ready to Go," and it pretty much explains how I'm, well, ready to go back to my dorm and get this semester done and over with! 


Until next time, 

Kelsey

1 comment: