Wednesday, January 22, 2014

One week down, taking it one day at a time

Good afternoon, ya'll. 

I survived my first week back! Having Fridays off are a blessing. Nothing beats a long weekend. I had a pretty good, eventful weekend, for I went home to see some family and friends. 

Friday night, my high school held their 2nd (or 3rd?) annual Teacher Follies show, which is a fundraiser for the Thespian troupe which I was a part of when I was still in high school. It's a great show of some of the school's teachers giving their best musical and theatrical performances. I witnessed a magic show and a ton of great music. To top it all off, I had the pleasure of seeing my underclassmen friends again. Needless to say they were thrilled to see me. Oh how I miss my drama friends! 

Hillary wasn't too thrilled about me taking
a picture with her.

Seth! or, "McKrispee."

Shencheh, Trupti, and Yoshua... and me.

Saturday night, my mother, grandmother, and I met up with my aunt, uncle, and their twin daughters to celebrate their 11th birthday! We ate at Carrabbas (which was absolutely delicious) and then headed to the mall so the two girls could get their first ear piercing! I promised them that when I got my second ear piercing that I would get it done with them. So I did. Hannah wasn't really nervous about it, but Sarah was afraid it would hurt. To my surprise, neither of them flinched and they were pretty pleased to get it over with. Afterward, we headed to their house for some cake. 

Me with the twins


Sunday afternoon, I went to church for a very late (but fun) cast party for The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, a show in which I was the lead role/narrator, Beth Bradley. It was a great show and the whole cast did a wonderful job. We watched the play again on a projection screen as we chowed down on pizza and cookies. It was great having most everyone together again. 

Promo poster

Me as Beth Bradley performing alongside the Angel Choir

Monday morning, I met at church yet again with the middle school youth to chaperone for their service project. We went to a place which houses children whose parents are unable to take care of them, and those who are trying to get back up on their feet and get an education or find a job. We aided them in cleaning up one of the houses. We vacuumed the rooms, took down curtains, scrubbed baseboards, and mopped the floors. The kids worked very hard and got a lot done. After a few hours of hard work, we were treated to pizza at Fellini's for lunch. 

Briefing before starting to work

I went back on campus that afternoon, exhausted. I had a long but enjoyable weekend with many familiar faces. I spent the rest of my afternoon moving in some things I found I needed after a week in my dorm. My mother found a good deal on a toaster oven, so I have put that in my kitchen. I also bought a mirror to go on my closet door. I brought from home two of my favorite posters - one of The Walking Dead, and the other of none other than Rosie the Riveter herself. It was a chore getting things set up, but it's starting to feel more Kelsey... 

Rosie the Riveter... a must.

Another favorite- The Walking Dead!

Why, hello there. 
Today, after ASL, I met up with a friend for lunch when she got out of class. Rachel and I played junior roller derby together for a year in high school, and briefly discussed the idea of starting a skating club. We were both feeling withdrawal from skating, and thought it would be awesome to find other students at our university who are skaters as well. I'm making that another goal of mine-- form a rollerskating club on campus. 

Me and Rachel (black uniforms, in the middle of
black shirt pack) playing for the Brats. Go Undertakers!
Photo by Chris Albright

I am looking into getting involved in theatre here at school. I met a girl in my ASL class who's a theatre major, and she said they are always looking for an extra hand-- from stage managing to stage hands. If all works out, I'll be back in black, behind the curtain of a show! Being in drama club in high school (although stressful) brought me such joy. I had a blast humming the tunes to the musical as I stood by the house doors, or as I prepared to roll out another set piece for the next scene. To this day, I still find myself singing "Wells Fargo Wagon" every time I pass by a Wells Fargo bank. For those that don't know, it's a song from The Music Man, a very fun and energetic musical which my old high school performed 2 years ago. Good times.

Before, I go, I have added a new song for the Song of the Week. It's called Open Happiness by Ceelo Green, Patrick Stump, Travis McCoy, Brendon Urie, and Janelle Monae. Ever since it was released, it has brought a smile upon my face on a bad day. Enjoy!

Now, I best get to studying. Until next time...

Kelsey

1 comment: